Thursday 5 June 2014

"The Big Surprise"


 
           I'm one to be very attached to my family and when some have to leave, its hard for me. I was only 12 years old when my sister was living with me and the family. She was 17 and soon going to be a grandaunt in grade 12. At the time, I was exited for her but also depressed because I knew that she would have to go away soon. If i went to talked to her about it, I thought I would be holding her back from a bright future so I didn't want to risk anything with her. As we got closer to that day, she came to the family with a "Big Surprise". she exclaimed " I go a Scholarship!". I congratulated her and then I went outside. I felt as if I was falling in a hole full of sadness, depression and loneliness. If it was up to me I would've made her stay. I guess she saw me sitting outside and saw that  looked sad. Out of the blue, she sat next to me and said "why the long face? Is it because I'm leaving?". I replied " I just don't know if I could handle you gone" and she said "I promise that I will come back at least 3 times a year". Of coarse, I knew I couldn't say no because like I said, it would be holding her back. I had to accept he fact that no-one stays forever. A few weeks after her graduation she was packing to go to the US where she will be attending her university. She was set to become an Environmental Engineer and I couldn't been prouder of her. I knew I wanted to graduate and start my future just like her. She also visits every 3 months so I'm up to date with her. In the end of it all i knew that everyone moves on in their lives and we have to be there and happy for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment